In my search for what truly makes us happy. I have stumbled on what doesn't make us happy. There are a lot of myths on happiness out there and when you do the research on it you find out the truths of happiness. Here are some the things that won't make you much happier, they make life a little easier or even a little happier but in the scheme of things, they won't bring you the happiness your looking for,
What doesn't make us truly happy:
1. Money - yes, it might make your life a little easier but happier - not much. If you don't believe me look at all the lottery winners. Within a year or so most big lottery winners are depressed and broke.
2. More material items - that goes with the more money concept. You can't buy happiness no matter how much we try.
3. A bigger house - " keeping up with the jones" only brings us more competition, envy, jealousy and resentment.
4. Changing your looks - you can be younger, thinner, and prettier. You can spend lots of money on plastic surgery, botox and make-up but in the long run it's all superfacial and won't equal long lasting happiness
5. Physical health - I watch this first hand. I work in a rehab with patients who have spinal injuries or brain injuries. A lot of the clients are now paralyzed. They have life altering changes and yet after a few months they go back to their personality and happiness levels pre-injury.
6.Chronic pain - just read the above and you will get the same answer - pain and injuries don't alter your quality of life as much as you think. Actually, I have a lot of patients in the last five years whose level of happiness has increased after the injury. They become more motivated to make their world and others a better place. They become more grateful for what they have and appreciate the small, simple things in life like living!
These are just a few of the things that we are always think about with happiness. We always think if we are richer, thinner, younger, prettier or in less pain we would be happier. That is not the case. Next we can talk about what does make us happy!