Some pregnant women are blessed with that goddess like glow from within. Not me. My face was peppered with a smorgasbord of dermatological atrocities from the moment I learned of my pregnancy. Red spots appeared on my cheeks. Water retention caused Samsonite sized luggage to take up residence under my eyes. Itchy eczema patches came and went on my face and body. I went through a bout of acne that would put a teenager’s volcanic complexion to shame.
Great skin requires a quality skin care regime that encourages cellular turnover: frequent exfoliation, hydration and SPF application. But, what worked pre-pregnancy, may not work now. Step one? Evaluate your products and avoid the host of contraindicated ingredients for pregnancy. Look for ingredients that exfoliate but are not overly drying. Next up? Makeup. Dewiness and a soft, healthy looking glow is a direct result of neutralizing discolorations and blending foundation with light reflective particles.To achieve the goddess like perfection of, say, Jennifer Lopez, yank a page from the playbook of celebs’ glam squad and become a master of calculated subtlety.
1. Start with a low lather, oil based cleanser. Belli Skincare has an Acne Cleansing Facial Wash with lactic acid which gently exfoliates dead skin and increases collagen production for firmer, younger looking skin.
2. You may not be knocking them back these days, but customizing a “cocktail” (beauty parlance for layering a variety of gentle but active products on the face for increased efficacy) of products for the face and décolleté” is integral to great skin.
3. Apply a creamy under eye concealer. Patting (not rubbing) the product gives more coverage
4. Apply a powder foundation and follow with a sweep of luminizing powder on cheeks, forehead and nose top.
5. Find a mellow shade of bronzer that matches your skin tone and brush on only where the sun would naturally hit the face: cheeks, forehead, bridge of nose, chin and chest. Don’t blow your cover by forgetting to bronze your ears, décolleté and neck.
6. Apply a shimmer based blush to the apple of your cheeks and blend with puff.
7. Pat oil or moisturizer on your face for added dewiness.
8. Now that you have a glow, wake up the eyes and mouth with a lengthening mascara and some lip gloss mascara.