Summer travel? Fabulous. The havoc that airline travel, sun and sea can have on your skin and hair? Not so fabulous. With the departure date for my family’s upcoming trip looming, I began hunting and gathering the usual suspects: the right clothes, the right shoes, the right accessories, bathing suits and cover-ups. Then, I started to ruminate upon beauty. Within moments, my “toiletries” basket runneth over. Did I really need my cranberry toner, ferulic acid and B5 masque for a 2.5 week stint to France? But, without my grooming arsenal, I feared that I would dry up like a grape in the Provencal sun.
I popped up to see beauty dynamo Jean Godfrey-June for her take on best bets for long-haul trips. As Beauty Director of Lucky Magazine and author of the must-read tome FREE GIFT WITH PURCHASE: My Improbable Career in Magazines and Makeup, Jean is well versed in the language of hydration. And, can reel off a litany of high performance products faster than Jon Stewarts opening zingers on The Daily Show. Her sage advice?
“The air on the plane is so dry. Bring some products to use on the flight that lock in moisture like Korres lip butter and Intelligent Nutrients anti-aging serum (both contain no parabens, sulfates or pert chemicals). The oil literally ‘feeds’ the skin and wards off facial dehydration. For the trip, bring broad spectrum, chemical free sunscreens that both parents and kids can use (Say Yes to Carrots and Surf-Vival are her faves). Also, avoid over packing with multi-tasking products like Davines 3 -in-1 Replenishing Butter that moisturizes hair, face and body.”
Jean also recommends Lancome Flash Bronzer to (safely) score that just-been-to-the-beach glow.
1. Korres Lip Butter in mango, $12
2. Intelligent Nutrients Anti-Aging Serum, $60
3. To boost energy, Jean gives herself a foot massage each night. According to Chinese medicine, the back is linked to meridians on the feet.
4. Yes-to-Carrots Hydrating Body Lotion with SPF 30, $14.99
5. Surf-Vival Sunscreen SPF 30, $14.99
6. Davines Authentic Replenishing Butter, $25
7. Lancome Flash Bronzer Body Gel, $34
1. Fab watch to track of time, Toywatch $195
2. Dramatic sunglasses to channel Audrey Hepburn, Cheap Monday Telekinesis Glasses $30
3. Fold-up-able flats (in my bag) for foot emergencies, Sue London Ballet Flats $179
4. Bribery material for the kids, Tasty Brand Organic Fruit Snacks $2.50
5. To block out excessive noise on the plane, Mack’s Earplugs $4.79
6. A loose cashmere wrap for the plane and cool evenings, DKNY Cozy Wrap $125
7. To ward off cooties, Wet Ones Wipes $1.50