Now is a good time to look for eco friendly lunchbox items, why you ask? Well shops are starting to stock up now; you can order online and not pay express shipping; you can try a few things out or research other items in time for back to school; and you can practice using them before school starts.
Here are a few great resources to start with:
2. Laptop Lunches
3. Konserve Kids
Did you know…
* The average sized elementary school generates over 18,000 pound of trash per year?
* Our school children’s lunches alone create about 3,500,000,000 pounds of garbage annually?
* It takes one 15 year old tree to make 700 brown paper lunch bags?
Here are some ideas to pack a less wasteful lunch. Implement them as you can.
* Use a cloth napkin.
* Get really good re-useable containers, buy in bulk and divide. Avoid single serving products if you can.
* Use a stainless steel water bottle and bring water from home.
* Get a good quality wide mouth insulated container for hot foods.
* Use a insulated beverage container for homemade smoothies and juices and hot beverages.
* Pack it all up in a re-useable and washable lunch box or bag.
* Bake your own snack bars now and freeze them so you are ready for the start of school.
* If you have a great idea for packing a “greener” lunch, or a product to share…do so here.
Have a product or tip to share? Do it here, we want to know!
Beth Ann Bentley is the founder and publisher of iLunchBox.com--information and inspiration for you family's healthy lunch on the go.