What's the rudest or funniest question you've been asked about your large family?

I've been asked: All your kids? Is it with the same husband? (I stared at them, then said: "yes, same husband and can you imagine this, I still love him!")

I've been asked when shopping at the grocery store, and pulling two carts: Are you shopping for a school?

Views: 41

Replies to This Discussion

Mine aren't as interesting as yours, Mary Kay!

When I used to take all four grocery shopping, I'd push a car cart with the girls in in, pull a regular cart with younger son in the seat, and have older son pushing a miniature cart. I'd get a lot of comments about our train.

I also get asked--a lot--if I homeschool. Like all large families homeschool or something. Actually, more often it goes like this: "Are they all yours?" "Yes." "You don't homeschool, too, do you?" Like that would make me either crazy or superwoman, I guess.

Linda
That's so funny! Homeschooling....i couldn't imagine.

minnemom said:
Mine aren't as interesting as yours, Mary Kay!

When I used to take all four grocery shopping, I'd push a car cart with the girls in in, pull a regular cart with younger son in the seat, and have older son pushing a miniature cart. I'd get a lot of comments about our train.

I also get asked--a lot--if I homeschool. Like all large families homeschool or something. Actually, more often it goes like this: "Are they all yours?" "Yes." "You don't homeschool, too, do you?" Like that would make me either crazy or superwoman, I guess.

Linda
I went to my own doctor the other day and had to take all four of them.....And he said "Oh..I din't know these were all yours! I thought you ran a daycare!"
Never mind that they all look exactly alike..we call them "cookie-cutter kids"!
This is a funny question. I just had a baby and I was asked more than once, "Your having ANOTHER one?" My reply was, " Yes, and you don't have to even pay for it because I have a job. " The other favorite for me was ( I work in a grocery store) I was shopping after work and I tend to buy alot if I have good coupons. I had a customer ask me if the things in my cart were the things people did not want anymore. I have my coat and purse and coupon box. Of course I have to be nice even though I was off the clock. Why do people not think before they speak? Am I the ONLY one in the world that buys a full cart of groceries? I mean really! LOL
I think I would have said I do have a hobby, wink, wink!

Tina said:
I've had:
"Don't you know what causes that yet?"
"Don't you have a tv?"
"Gee, you need to find a hobby!"
While shopping, "Are you feeding an army?!"
I hate the comment, 'You do know what causes this' and then they point to my kids!! How rude!!!
I've had seven children; but have a large age span, so don't often take all with me to the store. However, I got one comment from my mother when I announced #7 was on the way. My reply to her was this: "Mark and I are not asking you to clothe, feed, educate or babysit this child - all we ask you to do is to love it. We know you can do that. So leave the rest up to us and God." That pretty much shut her up. LOL [And yes, we do also homeschool. ;) ]

But by far the rudest comments are those I've gotten from my personal blog. I've had that site for 9 years now and being quiverful in our convictions, we have gotten some truly hateful emails through the site, that I won't even repeat here. At first, they would upset me. They were just hateful and mean. Now I just pray for the person, delete and go on with my day. Someone hiding behind a computer monitor spreading venomous hate like that obviously has some issues.
I had three kids under the age of 5 and was vastly pregnant with our fourth. At the grocery store in line waiting to pay there was a man in front of us. He looked at us and said something like, "Nice looking kids, do they all have the same father?" I was flabbergasted. All I could say was yes. Then by the time I got home I had thought of all kinds of "Snappy Answers to Stupid Questions" ala Dave Berg - Mad Book style. I couldn't wear my wedding band at the time, I gained weight with each kid and hadn't lost it.
I get a lot of "god bless you" or are u nuts? My favorite by far is "are you catholic?" ,, i didn't know catholics were heavy breeders, LOL, BUt my 3 older children biologically aren't mine,., so the most hatefull thing i have bee told are "well they really arent yours". As if not physically giving birth to a child removes being a mother to them .
I've gotten the standards, "Are you Catholic?" "Are they all yours?" "Don't you know what causes that?"

My grandfather is a funny man and reminds me everytime my husband and I go on a trip together - "Don't forget, "accidents" cause people!" But my grandparents have 5 kids, so they understand.

The comment that really gets me is when I'm out in public and people either say, "WOW! You sure have your hands full" or "Doesn't your husband ever babysit so you can go out without them?"

For some reason, they can't understand that I actually *like* spending time with my kids!
well I get asked "are those all yours??" and I reply yes and then I get the whole "well you look to young to have 3 children" and I reply well I have 3 and another one on the way due in march..lol..and they just stare at me..and I also get "are those 3 all with the same father" I reply yes how can you not tell..lol..(I'm not with my oldest 3's father anymore though I'm engaged to a very amazing man and were having a baby due March my 4th his 1st..:))
I think this person has talked to me too! lol.

Funny part is my children have traveled more than I did as a child. And some of them traveled quit a bit. My husband and I got married at 21 and people thought we were to young. lol didn't know that there was a special age for a perfect marriage. And we have had so much fun as they grew up. I had to go back to work 7 years ago and for the last 3 my youngest son has been in a public high school. In reality it is less fun, more work, and costs us a lot more money than home schooling! We took trips, built a swiming pool, re route my dads flood iragation system, built a hydro plane scate board, helped put up a windmill to power electricity, my daughter went to mexico on a mission trip and is working at getting to Germany for winter break, one son went to a mission trip to Okalahoma, and my eldest was an army ranger for 3 years and saw the world. My eldest (24) is now married and keeps telling his wife he wants a dozen kids. He is also working to get his degree as a physicians assistant. My second son works for UPS. My daughter scored high enough on her sat test to get into her first choice of college with a great grant from the school, and my youngest son is still at home, feeling lonely because every one else is gone. lol guess we are really deprived!

I guess that's the part that always irritated me. The constant comments about how deprived my kids were. ;)

Now that I only have one home I miss them horribly. I really enjoyed them being around. My current hated comment is, well now you have time for your self! I'm lucky I have hobbies! other wise I would be soooo bored!

MichellePotter said:
I was told there was "something wrong with me" for having 4 kids at 23, and when I was 25 with 5 kids I was treated to a lecture on how having children before 25 ruins your chances of ever being educated, guarantees your relationship with the father will fail, damns you to poverty, and ensures you will never travel or have any of the fun so absolutely necessary to being a well-rounded individual. Nevermind that I AM educated, have a strong marriage, am soundly middle-class, have been to Europe (only once??? my lecturer cried), and have plenty of fun as a mom of many.

RSS

© 2014   Created by Megan Calhoun.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service