What are your tips for those who want to build a review blog?

Today's SocialMoms blogging prompt was submitted by member Shelly, who likes to blog about her family and do book reviews at The Attic Girl. You can connect with her on Twitter @atticgirl76 .

What are your tips for those who want to build a review blog?-    How do you know what to review? What is your pricing? What are some of the review groups/sites you have joined?

We're sure she'd like to read your posts, so if you decide to take her up on today's prompt, be sure to leave a link to your blog below in the comments section. Please include a link to our list of SocialMoms daily blog prompts in your post as well. 

What would you like to see other moms write/blog about? Share your writing prompts and daily blog prompts.

You can subscribe to our daily writing prompt via RSS. 

Happy blogging!

Tags: review blog, writing prompt

Views: 11

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Ok, for the uninitiated - what's a Review Blog?  Is it simply a blog that reviews, for instance, books or music?  Or is it more in depth than that?  Am new here, and relatively new to blogging as well.  Just learning the ropes!

Thanks

Tracy

mychildcan.wordpress.com

Review bloggers receive products from companies to test and then write blog posts about. Books and music are included, but usually a review blog will include all sorts of products, sites and services. The bigger the blog (in terms of traffic & subscribers), the bigger the products and opportunities.

Welcome to blogging and Social Moms!

mychildcan said:

Ok, for the uninitiated - what's a Review Blog?  Is it simply a blog that reviews, for instance, books or music?  Or is it more in depth than that?  Am new here, and relatively new to blogging as well.  Just learning the ropes!

Thanks

Tracy

mychildcan.wordpress.com

Thanks Anitra!  I hadn't thought about that kind of blogging before - the idea of actually getting free product to write about.  Funny how the obvious sometimes gets looked straight over!  Thanks for the answer!

Tracy

mychildcan.wordpress.com

You're welcome!!

mychildcan said:

Thanks Anitra!  I hadn't thought about that kind of blogging before - the idea of actually getting free product to write about.  Funny how the obvious sometimes gets looked straight over!  Thanks for the answer!

Tracy

mychildcan.wordpress.com

I try to stick with my niche blog topics related to  "sports."  So far on my site, The Sports Daddy,  I have reviewed kids books about sports, Vikings Football books, a BBQ Recipe book and a offered up give-aways for tailgating through Johnsonville Brats. I have not actively recruited items to review, but I have learned that once your site starts getting found in Search Engines by companies looking for your niche via key words (SE0 strategy that you implement for your site) the offers will start filtering in.
What do you mean by "tailgating"?  

The Sports Daddy said:
I try to stick with my niche blog topics related to  "sports."  So far on my site, The Sports Daddy,  I have reviewed kids books about sports, Vikings Football books, a BBQ Recipe book and a offered up give-aways for tailgating through Johnsonville Brats. I have not actively recruited items to review, but I have learned that once your site starts getting found in Search Engines by companies looking for your niche via key words (SE0 strategy that you implement for your site) the offers will start filtering in.
Tailgating: Going to football games, grilling in the parking lot before the game starts, picnicking at Twins Pre-season games in Florida, etc.  It's kind of a cultural phenomenon for fans of sports, who like to do more than just attend games.  My family likes doing this.

Oh ok.  I'm from New Zealand, it's a bit different over here!  Thanks for clarifying that.  :)

@Tracy - yes.

Personally, I only review things that I'd normally use. For me, it doesn't make sense for me to review, for example, a tent, since I don't go camping, I'd have no experience to be able to say that it's better or worse than another one, easier/harder to put up and take down, at a good price or a horrible one, too big/small, etc since camping isn't something I do.

You generally don't charge for reviews, unless they're asking for the review to be expedited. Your "payment" is the review item itself. You can start a brand new blog and get books to review al day long. But if you'd like to review any other item (from a $1 piece of candy to a $1500 washing machine), you'll generally need to have a following before companies will send you items to review. So, many people will start by reviewing things they already have around their house.

I hadn't planned on doing reviews. It just sort of happened along the way. I started doing a couple giveaways to increase traffic, and the reviews sort of go along with them. My first few reviews and giveaways were for items I owned, and I provided the prizes (like gift cards earned through swag bucks) and after that I started getting a few sponsors.

After you start growing your readership, you may start getting pitches from companies, but unless they are very large, most bloggers still reach out to companies to solicit items regularly as well. I do both. I get several e-mails a week from companies, and I still send out e-mails to get new items. I also have some companies that are regulars, where they just automatically send items and I have an agreement for reviews and giveaways.

There are pros and cons. Yes you can get free stuff (although you do have to pay taxes on it) but it is a lot of work, especially the more reviews you do. Overall the experience has been good for me, and the reviews and giveaway drive a considerable amount of traffic on a daily basis for my site. I do agree with the recommendation above to only review what you know, and try to review only items you really want, or use, or think your readers would like.

I'm with Mychildren here, thanks everyone for the great advice.  I only have 24 followers and I have done everything to get more!  IF any of yu are interested I do follow back if you leave me a comment with link!

http://jenblizzard.blogspot.com  Southern Mom of 4

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Latest Activity

khushi posted a status
"Download GTA 5 free for pc…"
6 minutes ago
khushi posted a status
""
7 minutes ago
khushi posted a status
"Watch Frozen Online…"