TODDLER MOM SEEKING HELP: What Books Do You Recommend for...?

My son just turned 18 months and he is, let's just say, strong willed.  I am hoping to get good book recommendations from moms/parents on the following topics.  I tried searching online but I'd rather get advice from moms that have already used the books they are recommending.

1.  POTTY TRAINING

2.  POSITIVE Discipline

I don't believe in spanking or yelling, but little by little I can see this guy outsmarting us!  What are the best books on how to discipline toddlers.  

3.  EARLY LEARNING

I'm sick of babycenter.com articles that are generic and trying to sell me something.  I would love to read a bood with specific activities for toddlers starting at 18 months and beyond

4.  CREATIVE PROJECTS

I've seen a lot of great ideas for older "toddlers" but our baby seems to be "in between" so many of them.  Any good books or blogs that recommend things to do with kids at this age?

5.  ANY OTHER MUST READS?

THANKS in advance for your help wonderful mama's!

Tags: books, educational, reading, toddlers

Views: 191

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Thanks Susan.  I will check out your resources and let you know if we need something!

Tutoring Match said:

In my opinion:

Friends and experienced Moms are always better than books.  I have heard Moms lament after reading books that there must be something wrong with their child because the books just didn't work...nonsense! What works for one child may not work for the next. Trying a variety of techniques often leads to success. Join a local moms group and start making connections.

Potty training: we waited until summer and then let my daughter run around with no diaper ( at home of course). After a couple of "whoops" she got the message and started using the potty.

For boys-- have you tried the Fruit Loop trick? Use fun colored Fruit Loops for "aiming" practice.

Bribery--- put a favorite "wrapped" treat on the sink near the potty... tell the child they can  have it AFTER using the potty successfully.

Discipline: you are smarter and more clever than he is~take a moment to think what his next move might be. When it is no longer a challenge or fun he will give up.

Early Learning: you have come to the right place! Libraries have a free story time ( and activity) and there are a variety of classes      ( kindermusic etc) you can sign up for.

Anything hands on is great at this age. You want to develop fine motor skills which will help prepare your child for writing. Beading, playing with clay, collages, coloring, writing with chalk outside, the best; painting with water on the pavement...no mess and kids love it!

We have tons of ideas and would be happy to give many more suggestions. Also just google early learning and a variety of free sites will pop up.

Hope this helped,

Susan @ Tutoring Match

Shelly - you rocked my world!  This is exactly what I was looking for.  Thank you so much.  I will grab some of these books for my kindle tonight.  I know that books aren't always the answers, but the Baby Whisperer is a great recommendation.  I read her book when I was sleep training my baby (didn't work 100%, but it gave me some great ideas).

Thanks again!  I will post your answer to my blog over the next few days!

Shelley Molitor said:

Marcela,  

This is such a great question, that I decided to write a blog post about it today! Let me know what you think:

http://bit.ly/lMVdHr

Sincerely,

Shelley

My husband and I really enjoyed "Parenting with Love and Logic."  They have a book specifically on toddlers!  Seems like I've seen this book on CD as well so you can listen while you clean.  I highly recommend both parents read it, maybe even together so that you're both on board with style of discipline.

For potty training we loved "Toilet Training in less than a Day."  It is intense work, but for most kids, they actually get it and the brunt of the work is over!

The other books I recommend have a round about correlation to the kids.  My husband and I recently read, "His Needs, Her Needs for Parents," and "Love Busters," by Dr. Willard Harley, who is an amazing marriage counselor.  

Lovely! So glad it helps. Having great resources inspires you as you parent. You just eat the meat and spit out the bones!

Marcela Shine said:

Shelly - you rocked my world!  This is exactly what I was looking for.  Thank you so much.  I will grab some of these books for my kindle tonight.  I know that books aren't always the answers, but the Baby Whisperer is a great recommendation.  I read her book when I was sleep training my baby (didn't work 100%, but it gave me some great ideas).

Thanks again!  I will post your answer to my blog over the next few days!

Shelley Molitor said:

Marcela,  

This is such a great question, that I decided to write a blog post about it today! Let me know what you think:

http://bit.ly/lMVdHr

Sincerely,

Shelley

Potty Training : Everyone Poops By Taro Gomi and I Want My Potty By Tony Ross

Creative Projects - Check out Pragmatic Mom - good for education and projects and parenting advice!

Reply to Discussion

RSS

© 2014   Created by Megan Calhoun.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service