“See Green to Live Green” Contest Winners Announced!
So it IS easy being green! Thank you to everyone who participated in the TwitterMoms “See Green to Live Green” contest sponsored by Essilor’s Airwear®
, eyeglass lenses made with 100 percent recycled water and 100 percent recyclable packaging. It was tough selecting just one grand prize winner – your eco-friendly tips were all so creative and we loved hearing what you and your family are doing to make the world a greener place!
We’re excited to announce the 15 randomly selected winners who will each receive a $50 Amex gift card:
• Tharmati: http://www.geekgirlreviews.com/living-green/
• Sheila: http://anoceanoflove.blogspot.com/2009/11/life-is-green.html
• Jessi Matthews: http://jabberingjessi.blogspot.com/2009/11/green-living-tips.html
• Musings from Me: http://musingsfromme.com/green-mom/
• Linda Summers: http://summershome.blogspot.com/2009/11/green-tips-in-honor-of-amer...
• Barb Webb: http://webbwise.blogspot.com/2009/11/top-three-green-living-tips-fo...
• Angela at The Suburban Jungle: http://thesuburbanjungle.blogspot.com/2009/11/green-up-your-winter....
• Shane D. Shirley-Smith: http://shaneshirleysmith.blogspot.com/2009/11/airwear-lighter-safer...
• Noelle Corbin: http://positivelynatural.blogspot.com/2009/11/3-tips-for-going-gree...
• Megan Herbert: http://www.mnmspecial.com/2009/11/how-we-go-green.html
• Mary Disney: http://marysstuffandmore.blogspot.com/2009/11/top-three-green-livin...
• Colleen Mouse: http://kennedyandzach.blogspot.com/2009/11/need-help-going-green.html
• Cherise Kachelmuss: http://mamasmoneysavers.com/2009/11/how-we-go-green.html
• Tracy Tureson: http://mattnem05.com/2009/11/11/my-family-is-going-green/
• LB: http://lbandj.blogspot.com/2009/11/easy-ways-to-live-green.html
The mom with the most creative green living tips, as determined by Beth Aldrich
and the experts at Airwear, is Rhiana
. She will receive a $100 Amex gift card to put toward greening her routine. You can read her tips here: http://hurriedhomemaker.com/2009/11/greenx3/
We all know the phrase “Reduce, Reuse, Recycle” … here is my spin on those three wonderful words and how you can use each to go green the easy way,
REDUCE the poo: Got a baby? Did you know that ordinary disposable diapers take over 1000 years to disappear from our Earth? Cloth diapering is a wonderful thing, but not practical for everyone. Welcome biodegradable diapers to the neighborhood! (Enter gDiapers and Nature Babycare.) Of course, if you’re really brave [and have a lot of free time] you could try EC.
REUSE clothing: Fashionista? Go green without a lot of green. Create a clothing swap with your similar-sized, similar-taste friends and neighbors. Raid each others’ closets. Want something new? Go shopping together (carpool). Chip in on a few great outfits. Share. Circulate and reuse baby/kid clothes too! (I just made baby pants out of Hubby’s old t-shirt!)
RECYCLE everything: This family of 4 humans (one of which is a baby) and 2 dogs usually has about 1-2 bags of garbage per week. How? We recycle as much as possible … that toilet paper roll, tissue paper from that birthday gift, the box the noodles came in, the plastic thingy from new socks … You name it, we recycle it! (Remember last week when I told you not to forget to recycle those plastic bags?) Most counties have recycle pick-up that doesn’t require that you separate glass, aluminum, and plastic from one another. Our recycle collection does ask that we flatten boxes and paper. Go ahead … sign up. Don’t have pick-up in your area? Look for a recycle center near you now!
wants your top 3 tips on going green. Since Thursday is my Going Green segment, it seemed appropriate to produce my tips in the form of my regular blog post. Be sure to visit their site LighterSaferGreener.com
to see what they are doing and to let them in your secrets too!
We also invite you to share your tips for how you and your family are greening your routines at Lighter.Safer.Greener.com
for a chance to win Airwear eyewear for the entire family! The contest ends December 19 so there’s still time!
This was our first eco-focused contest, and we were thrilled to see such great interest in this topic. As “green mom” Beth Aldrich
says, “How you treat yourself, your family and your home all add up to how we collectively take care of our planet,” and we’re happy to hear that you share similar ideals.
# # #
Want to join the green movement, but aren’t sure how? Intimidated that you might need to turn your routine upside down to be more eco-friendly? Green living expert and mother of three, Beth Aldrich
, encourages families to try little things to make a difference everyday and to look for products that work for them and the environment.
That’s why Beth’s teamed-up with Airwear®
to invite other environmentally-conscious consumers to share their visions of a greener world. Airwear eyeglass lenses from Essilor are now made using environmentally conscious practices such as 100 percent recycled water, 100 percent recyclable packaging, and the company re-purposes unused materials in other industries. With these new, green practices Airwear is conserving millions of gallons of water and eliminating 570,000 pounds of plastic waste every year!
Going green can be as simple as buying eco-friendly products or shopping locally for produce – every little thing adds-up to make a sustainable impact on the environment as a whole. As Beth says, “How you treat yourself, your family and your home all add up to how we collectively take care of our planet.
Beth, Airwear and TwitterMoms want to know what you’re doing to green your routine!
HOW IT WORKS:
To participate, write a post on your own blog about your Top Three Green-Living Tips and describe what you and your family are doing to make the world a greener place. Your blog post should include at least one link to LighterSaferGreener.com
. Then, return to this discussion page and leave a comment with your blog link. That's it! We also encourage you to embed a “Lighter.Safer.Greener.” contest button on your blog (you get the button from LighterSaferGreener.com site) to encourage readers to share what their families are doing to make the world a greener place – they could win Airwear eyewear for the entire family. Feel free to upload photos or videos to show your “greening” in action. Beth and her son prove that recycling can be a fun, teachable moment! Contest officially ends on midnight EST on November 24. All participating bloggers will be contacted the week of December 7.
- Fifteen bloggers who enter the contest will be randomly selected to receive a $50 American Express gift card – a nice chunk of change to put toward greening your routine!
- And the blogger who posts the most creative tips will receive $100 American Express gift card – even better!
So go ahead, share how you see the world through “green” colored glasses!
When Tweeting about the contest, please use #Airwear.