I've been home for a year now and starting to pick up the mojo to work again. I'd like to freelance write so I can continue to stay home. For those that are freelancers....what is the best way to embark on gaining some work?

Views: 20

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

There are a ton of freelancer services online you can register for that post opportunities. Some are more reputable than others and some pay better than others. Just google the service before joining to check out feedback and reviews. You'll also want to collect or start creating some great writing samples to have on hand when potential clients ask to see your work.

Starting a blog (if you don't already have one) is a great way to get going as well. It can be a fun creative and emotional outlet, plus it gives you a great way to showcase your work, and a place to publish different writing opportunities like the ones offered here. Once you build up some readership, there are lots of paid opportunities where you can blog for merchandise (like reviews) for payment (sponsored posts) and sometimes both. If you need some suggestions, you're welcome to DM and I will send some links.

Well, SocialMoms is offering points for content ;)

Try YCN too - you can submit articles for upfront.  They may make an offer to you, depending on searchability and how the content aligns with ads.  You can try out for Textbroker too - but a lot of the things I see there are low paying and kind of spammy.  However, some people have had good success with that.  You can also keep an eye on Craigslist, eLance, and other sites that look for freelancers.  Good luck :)  Also recommend WAHM.com's mom's who write forum too for leads, help, discussions, etc.

Thanks for your reply!!

2 Kids and a Coupon said:

There are a ton of freelancer services online you can register for that post opportunities. Some are more reputable than others and some pay better than others. Just google the service before joining to check out feedback and reviews. You'll also want to collect or start creating some great writing samples to have on hand when potential clients ask to see your work.

Starting a blog (if you don't already have one) is a great way to get going as well. It can be a fun creative and emotional outlet, plus it gives you a great way to showcase your work, and a place to publish different writing opportunities like the ones offered here. Once you build up some readership, there are lots of paid opportunities where you can blog for merchandise (like reviews) for payment (sponsored posts) and sometimes both. If you need some suggestions, you're welcome to DM and I will send some links.

Hi Melina,

Thanks so much for you're feedback. I am slowly but surely starting to make strides and I have written a couple of things for the new Curious George season through the Latina Bloggers network. Not big things and certainly not what I'm used to but it all counts.

I would love to hear more about the opportunities you have for writers. I'm really looking to get back into the groove of writing great articles.

I sent you a friend request.

Thank you!Melina Druga said:

Hi, I'm a freelance writer, editor and blogger, and I can tell you that becoming a writer is a slow process, so you have to be patient.  Your first task will be to build up a portfolio, so this might mean taking jobs that don't pay anything (guest blogging, for example) or pay very little (a stringer for a small local newspaper) so you can get some experience under your belt.  Also, you'll want to buy the latest copy of the Writers Market.  It's one of the most useful resources you can own.  Learn how to write query letters and find someone to edit your work if you're bad a grammar.

I'm looking for guest bloggers for my blog.  If you're interested, contact me.

cool tips! Thank you so much. It all begins with asking right?

Caren Haug said:

Well, SocialMoms is offering points for content ;)

Try YCN too - you can submit articles for upfront.  They may make an offer to you, depending on searchability and how the content aligns with ads.  You can try out for Textbroker too - but a lot of the things I see there are low paying and kind of spammy.  However, some people have had good success with that.  You can also keep an eye on Craigslist, eLance, and other sites that look for freelancers.  Good luck :)  Also recommend WAHM.com's mom's who write forum too for leads, help, discussions, etc.

I have to agree with Melina on it being a slow process. However, start small you won't get to the bigger freelance writing jobs overnight. Start with applying to the content mills to gain some experience creating content, however, blogging is a great start :) Some companies I would recommend off the top of my head would be:

http://www.merchantcircle.com/contentwriter/signup Pay is $4 for smaller articles and I think around $10 for larger ones They pay every Monday and really nice editors to work with.

http://breakstudios.break.com/ $8 per article they pay every 2 weeks

Not sure if they are hiring but http://www.wordgigs.com/ they pay monthly, pay varies depending on the content.

http://www.textbroker.com/us/author-information.php I know quite a few that work here and some have gotten permanent clients. The pay is low like $3 per 500 words and up.

Good Luck :)

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Latest Activity

khushi posted a status
"Watch Captain America 2 Online http://cyberload.net/mc/index.php?topic=145898.0"
24 minutes ago
khushi posted a status
"Watch Heaven Is for Real Online…"
25 minutes ago
khushi posted a status
26 minutes ago
khushi posted a status
27 minutes ago

© 2014   Created by Megan Calhoun.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service