Would you let your baby wear one of these?  I think baby bikinis are cute but apparently they are a big topic of controversy right now.  What are your thoughts?

http://specialbabyshowergifts.com/category/baby_gifts/baby-swim-suits

Tags: baby, bikini, debate, infant, newborn, swimwear

Views: 117

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I don't mind cute 2 pieces from the childrens place...somewhere that they actually look like a kid would wear them. But honestly...these are string bikini's. I found them pointless unless you have your own pool and don't mind having poop floating around w/o a swimmies on. Plus...I never wanted my daughter to have that much sun exposure. Considering that the baby can wear nothing but a diaper or just be naked as a norm; the real question of controversy on these is why the need to sex up your baby? What would be next?

I am the mother of four daughters.  As a young lady, I wore bikinis, until I was about 16 or 17.  I switched to one-piece suits with cover ups because I didn't like the attention I was getting.  We don't allow our daughters to wear bikinis because we feel that they are too revealing.  Dressing our baby daughters in bikinis would have set a precedent that would make it more difficult to argue against later - even though little babes are not subject to the same objectification as older girls.

I am also the mother of four sons.  I have witnessed the embarrassment of our older boys when a girl is dressed in a tiny bikini - or a revealing outfit.  Perhaps our family culture is such that we are more sensitive to these things...  

We've just made the decision to preserve all eight of our children from premature sexualization.  Modesty is more than how we dress, it is also how we speak, and how we think.  But they certainly work together.  

So it's a no to baby bikinis here.

My mum made me wear a one peice at all times. Plus a t-shirt.  I think i bought my first bikini when i was late into my teenage years.  But i don't think it hurt me.  When i was old enough to deal with the sexual side of showing off my body - then i could take responsibility for it. 

Janet Barnes said:
nope....my daughter is now 14 and she still only wears one pc swimsuits.
I thought I was the only kid whose mom made me where a one piece AND a t shirt. LOL.  I hated it. I bought a bikini for the first time at 19 but it did have board shorts.  I don't mind bikini tops, but for a little girl, I think that a bikini top and board shorts are appropriate a little more than the bikini bottoms. 

mychildcan said:
My mum made me wear a one peice at all times. Plus a t-shirt.  I think i bought my first bikini when i was late into my teenage years.  But i don't think it hurt me.  When i was old enough to deal with the sexual side of showing off my body - then i could take responsibility for it. 

Janet Barnes said:
nope....my daughter is now 14 and she still only wears one pc swimsuits.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Latest Activity

Cheryl Minnis shared Megan Calhoun's event on Twitter
3 hours ago
Profile IconCheryl Minnis, Marcie Parrish, Angela McKinney and 19 other members are attending Megan Calhoun's event
Thumbnail

#eBayMom Twitter Party at Twitter: #eBayMom

April 30, 2014 from 4pm to 5pm
3 hours ago
Profile IconKathy Fisch, annann, Andrea Lindal and 1 more joined Social Moms: the influential moms network
6 hours ago
Megan Calhoun's event was featured
Thumbnail

#eBayMom Twitter Party at Twitter: #eBayMom

April 30, 2014 from 4pm to 5pm
6 hours ago

© 2014   Created by Megan Calhoun.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service